Summary of changes in WordPress 3.8
Following up on the summary of changes for WordPress 3.7 we now take a look at WordPress 3.8. A new admin design and new Twenty Fourteen theme are the huge new components of WP 3.8. Responsiveness is a huge part of the design of both. On the developer side we don’t see too many new features or changes.
A few helpful new features include has_post_format, better background image support, a slew of bug fixes related to taxonomies and a few other bug fixes. Otherwise this version was mostly focused on pushing out the new admin design and 2014 theme.
- Better custom background theme support defaults, can now specify ‘default-repeat’, ‘default-position-x’, and ‘default-attachment’ arguments for background images.
- Allow passing false for the meta_box_cb argument in register_taxonomy() to turn off the meta box display entirely
- Make it easier to target video shortcodes by adding a wp-video class to the parent container
- Fix bug where top-level categories were only redirecting if they had no children
- Fix bug in wp_get_object_terms() where returned were strings not integers
- Fix a bug where passing a null value to meta_query resulted in wonkiness with the comparison operator
- Fix a bug where menus could still be assigned to a non-existent theme location
- A $taxonomy argument was added to each of the adjacent post functions.
- Introduce WP_Screen::remove_option()
- Introduce WP_Screen::remove_options()
- Introduce WP_Screen::get_options()
WordPress 3.8.1, 3.8.2, 3.8.3, 3.8.4 and 3.8.5 were reviewed as well but contained only bug fixes and security hardening patches and are not summarized in this post.