By isingh

WP 4.6.2 Upgrade completed

January 14th, 2017 in Uncategorized 0 comments

We kicked off WP 4.1.1 Upgrade project on August 3rd, 2016 when WP 4.6 was still in betas. By the time we were ready to upgrade, WordPress 4.7 had come out. We completed the WP 4.6.2 upgrade project on Sunday January 14, 2017. The work took longer than expected due to significant staff shortage.

 

WP 4.1.1 Upgrade completed

March 8th, 2015 in Upgrade 0 comments

We completed the WP 4.1.1 upgrade project (originally the WP 4.1 project) on Sunday March 8th, 2015.

We kicked off WP 4.1.1 Upgrade project back in November 25th, 2014 when WP 4.1 was still in betas.

In previous upgrades, we had waited until the official release of WordPress to get started on our upgrade projects. By the time we were ready to upgrade, another release of WordPress had come out due to shorter development cycles. So our announcements for upgrades were usually not as exciting for our users.

While working on the WP 4.1 upgrade, WP 4.1.1 had been released. WP 4.1.1 had minor fixes and no database changes. We added it to our timeline without any delays or problems.

It should be mentioned that the core WP team did not keep up with their “tentative” schedule during the betas, release candidates and release. So it was hard to wait for them.

Tagged

Generating load using real browsers

August 28th, 2013 in Performance 0 comments

Problem: Unrealistic Load Tests Problem

Previously at BU, we’ve used tools like Siege and NeoLoad to generate load on our test servers for our load testing. We’ve realized that this often doesn’t create a realistic view of what happens when actual traffic hits our websites. The problem with these load test tools is that they do not make the dynamic javascript/css/etc requests that normal users or browsers also make. And they don’t maintain a connection with the server long enough to get those assets, i.e. do not wait until the onload event is fired.

Solution: Load URLs using Real Browsers

I’ve created a load-urls.py script in the bu-toolkit repo which loads up urls from a file in multiple browsers at the same time. The script will wait until the onload event is fired on the page to consider it ready. It uses Selenium’s webdriver library to facilitate this work and supports browsers such as PhantomJS (default), Firefox, and Chrome. The benefit of using PhantomJS is that it is by default a headless browsers, whereas the other browsers require special headless versions and/or virtual displays to get working optimally.

Analysis

Running some adhoc urls for our TEST servers, I was able to make the following observations:

Threads Load Average on each TEST server
5 ~1
10 ~1.75
20 ~3.25

It should be noted that I was not able to run the 20 threads on malahide server (the server used to run load-urls.py) for too long as it’s own load average climbed up to 15. Also running the script for too long at just 10 threads may cause the server to become unresponsive, as it did to malahide server. So we need to use multiple servers set at 10 each to generate greater load for a short period of time. However, if the load needs to be maintained for a longer period of time, the task should be subdivided even further.